Friday, January 18, 2008

Classtools.net follow up

Class teaching is always about learning from your own mistakes. Your teaching improves by putting yourself in the learner's position to see how effective your lesson is, but also by testing out your resources before you use them. Today, I stand guilty of failure on both accounts!!
My wee test timeline using ClassTools.net was not a stunning success... There are various resource making tools on the site and they are all great. The timeline worked well at home, but you could not read the writing on the school computer. We have only access to the 'accessability wizard' at school, bu that does nothing to change the flash. I use Firefox at home and we have IE6 at school, but whatever we couldn't read it and I had also put far too much info on it. [Keep it simple!]
I have had a quick glance at some of the other applications and they are fine on the school computer apart from 'diamond nine', 'priority chart', 'learning puzle', 'venn diagram', 'living graph' and 'target'.

Still a very useful resource, but if anyone has any idea how to get round the sizing problems then I'd be much obliged. All administration rights over the computers are handled externally.

2 comments:

Russel Tarr said...

Hi - I'm the author of Classtools.net and I appreciate the comments - I'll have another think about how I can improve the templates to make them more accessible (when I've finished marking mock exams, that is!) Keep an eye on the site over the next few weeks and hopefully I'll have sorted out a workaround!

Mr M said...

Hi Russel,
It is an amazing resource. The problems I had I think are more to do with the set up of the computers at my school. And the fact that I can't change that. The screen resolution is 800 by 600. But I could be wrong. I am no expert on these things. I am using the Arcade games for my pupils to access to learn their spelling words. I gave them a sneak preview today in class and they loved it! Three of my boys (who have spelling difficulties) are game freaks and they can't wait. Will update you with the results. I probably won't be off the site in the next few weeks!